미리보기 문서로 변환중입니다.
- County symbol
- County symbol
- County symbol
- Area : Area: 842㎢ (11.3% of the province)
- Population and households (2017.3.31)
- 38,481 people (male 19,552, female 18,929) ※ 2.4% of the province
- Householdcount: 19,725 ※ Population aged 65 years or over: 11,682 people (30.4%)
- Administrative districts and administrative organization
- Administrative district: 1 eup 10 myeon 282 li 883 ban
- Administrative organizations: 2 offices / 10 departments / 2 bureaus / 2 business centers / 1 eup / 10 myeon
- Employee counts: 618 employees (Head office: 429 offices, 176 eup/myeon, 13 assembly members)
- Schools and businesses
- School: 25 schools (14 elementary schools, 8 middle schools, 2 high schools, 1 university)
- Businesses: 182 companies, 2,964 workers
- Cultural properties (government designated): 73 (7 treasures, 2 historical sites, 7 natural monuments, 1 famous temple, 56 others)
- Budget: 327.5 billion won (FY 2017 Total)
- General accounting: 291.1 (88.9%)
- Special accounting (36.4 billion won (11.1%) ※ Financial independence ⇒ 7.97%
- Geographic center of South Korea (whole country accessible within 2 hours)
- Passes through Jungbu Inland Highway (Goesan, Yeonpung IC), Jungbu Highway. Close to Cheongju Airport
- Goesan’s beautiful four seasons
- Sanmagi-yetgil trail, Chungcheong-do yangbangil trail, Hwayang-gugok and Ssang-gu-gugok valley
- Traditional culture and classy cultural treasures (73 cultural treasures designated by government)
- Chungminsa temple, Wooam Song Siyeol site, Hong Beom-sik’s house, Gakyeonsa temple
- Korea’s best quality and ecologically-friendly organic foods
- pepper, daehak corns, salted cabbages, beef, ginseng, apple, tobacco, assorted grains, beans
Town name, history and origin
Joseon, King Taejong (1413)
- During the 28th year reign of King Jinpyeong of Sila (606), general Chandeok defended the castle seiged by Baekjae army for 100 days. However, facing inevitable defeat, Chandeok refused to surrender and killed himself by smashing his head against a zelkova tree. King Taejong Muyeol of sila (Kim Chun-chu) later named the city Gajamseong (Goeyang) in order to commemorate the spirit of Chandeok.
Historical overview of Goesan
- 1963.1.1: Goesan-gun Sangmo-myeon was merged to Jungwon-gun. Mungyeong-gun Nongam-myeon Samsong-ni was mergedd to Cheongcheon-myeon
- 1973.7.1: Goesan-gun Buljeong-myeon Mundeung-ni was merged to Eumseong-gun Soyi-myeon. Jungwon-gun Yiryu-mmyeon Hamun-ni was merged to Buljeong-myeon. Cheongwon-gun Bukyi-myeon Chojung-ni was merged to Jeungpyeong-eup. Gam-mul-myeon Geomseung-lli was merged to Goesan-myeon
- 1979.5.1: Goesan-myeon was promoted to eup district
- 1990.12.31: Jeupyeong-eup and Do-an-myeon under Goesan-gun was separated and placed under Jeunpyeong provincial branch office of Chungcheongbuk-do according to Chungcheongbuk-do ordinance No. 1864.
- 2003.8.30: Goesan-gun Jeunpyeong-eup and Do-an-myeon was separated as Jeungpyeong-gun.
Until the late Joseon dynasty, Goesan was divided into Goesan-gun, Yeonpung-hyeon, Cheongan-hyeon, Chungju and Cheongju. The area was redistricted to have the current structure due to the implementation of local districting rules on September 3, 1910, with the start of the Japanese colonial rule. The redistricting was followed by comprehensive administrative district consolidation implemented on March, 1914, which merged Goesan, Yeonpung and Cheongan to form today’s Goesan-gun.
In the early Joseon dynasty, Goesan was placed under a newly created province of Chungcheong-do from the previous Yang-gwang-do of the Goryeo dynasty. Since then, Goesan was a district under Chungcheongjwa-do province, which consisted of Goesan-gun and Yeonpung-hyeon under the control of Chung-ju-mok (mok: county mayor) and Cheong-an-hyeon under the control of Cheongju-mok. Goesan-gun was promoted to Jigyejusa (知槐州事) during the 3rd year of King Taejong’s reign (1403) and then the name was changed to Goesan-gun again on October 14, 1413.
After provincial redistricting during the 14th year of King Seongjong’s reign (995), Goesan was placed under Jungwon-do province consisting of 13 ju (county) and 45 hyeons (district) including Chungju, Cheongju. Since the 9th year of King Hyeonjong’s reign (1018), Goesan consisted of Goeju-gun, a sub-county of Chungju-mok, and Jangyeon-hyeon and Jangpung-hyeon (sub-district under Chungju-mok); and Cheongju-hyeon, Cheongan-hyeon and Cheongdang-hyeon, sub-district of Cheongju-mok. The area was also called Sian (始安) during the reign of King Seongjong.
According to Jiriji chapter of Samguksagi, Goesan Yeonpung and Cheongan (excluding Cheongcheon) originally belonged to the Baekjae kingdom. The area was then placed under Goguryeo kingdom and later integrated into Sila kingdom after unification. Being placed at the center of the conflicts among the three kingdoms, the area was a battlefield in which the three kingdoms fought. The area was originally called Ing-geun-naegun under Goguryeo kingdom and later changed to Goeyang-gun during Sila kingdom by King Gyeongdeok.
The oldest record in Goesan-gun is found in Samguksagi. From the relics found in the area such as grinded stone swords, stone axes, stone arrowheads or dolmens from the Bronze Age it is possible to infer that people lived in the area since prehistoric times.